Rory Cosgrove focuses his practice on appellate litigation in state and federal courts. Rory has extensive experience drafting briefs, motions, and memoranda and researching myriad legal areas, including medical/legal malpractice, employment discrimination, personal injury, products liability, and commercial law. Rory’s passion and enthusiasm for appeals shapes his trial practice.
You can follow Rory on Twitter as he tweets about recent appellate decisions and other appellate issues.
Before joining the firm, Rory clerked for the Honorable James Verellen at the Washington State Court of Appeals, Division One, for two years. He analyzed more than 60 appeals from bench memorandum to judicial opinion. His clerkship gave him valuable insight into the judicial decision-making process. Rory uses that insight to offer a unique perspective to clients. Rory regularly writes on appellate issues in his appellate law blog. You can subscribe to his blog posts for future updates.
While in law school, Rory was an extern for the Oregon Court of Appeals in the Appellate Commissioner’s Office. Before law school, Rory taught English in France for two years.
Rory impacts his local community with his commitment to pro bono service. He regularly volunteers for the Housing Justice Project in King County. Outside of the office, Rory enjoys voyages abroad (especially to France) and spending time with friends and family. Rory channels his love for basketball through his annual participation in the Spokane HoopFest basketball tournament. And when the weather permits, Rory will be found on the links working on his short game.
“Rory is beyond dedicated to the field of law. Having had the opportunity to work with him at the Court of Appeals, I witnessed firsthand his extreme work ethic and legal expertise. Rory’s unique perspective of the law and ability to effectively navigate difficult legal issues are unmatched. His vivacious personality is infectious and only an added bonus to his professionalism and practicality. Rory is a tireless and tenacious advocate that I recommend to family and friends whenever they are in search of quality legal advice. There is no one more passionate about helping you efficiently resolve a legal dispute than Rory. He is a powerhouse.”
“Without hesitation, I endorse him as an expert and man of the highest regard. Rory is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met, and his dedication, passion and drive know no limits.”
“He is the consummate professional and his clients are well served by his superior intelligence, tireless work ethic, easy-going personality, and competitive drive. I cannot recommend Rory Cosgrove strongly enough.”
“Without hesitation, I would trust Rory to handle my legal matters and the legal matters of those closest to me.”
- Co-author, “Expansion of Judicial Review of Arbitration Awards,” Appellate Practice, May 2017.
Honors and Recognitions
- Roy Lockenour Award for Professional Responsibility
- 2008 Yarwood Award, Top Dean’s Honor Student for Modern Languages and Literatures
- 2008 Washington’s Strongest Apple Champion
- 2006 Washington Ironman Bodybuilding Champion
- Volunteer Attorney, King County Housing Justice Project
- Volunteer Attorney, King County Neighborhood Legal Clinic
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law, summa cum laude, 2014
- Managing Editor, Willamette Law Review
- Certificate in International and Comparative Law
- Research, Writing, and Editing Assistant to Dean Emeritus Symeon Symeonides
- Legal Writing Assistant to Professor Helen Mazur-Hart
- B.A., Eastern Washington University, magna cum laude, 2008
- Majors: International Affairs and French
- Vice President, Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Study Abroad, Université Stendhal III, Grenoble, France
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Represented a client facing eviction and successfully negotiated with opposing counsel to keep the client in his home an extra 120 days.
- Represented client facing eviction and $12,000 in allegedly owed rent, and obtained an order dismissing the unlawful detainer action including an order of limited dissemination.
- Successfully obtained a show cause hearing for a client facing eviction in an unlawful detainer action.
- Represented residential tenant in a post-eviction hearing and successfully obtained an order reinstating client’s term tenancy and an order limiting dissemination of the unlawful detainer action.
- Represented residential tenant facing eviction and successfully negotiated with opposing counsel to keep client in her home for an extra month and saved client over $3,000.
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- King County Bar Association, Appellate Law Section
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute