Tim Thorson joined the firm in 1996. Mr. Thorson’s practice emphasizes products liability and commercial litigation, including asbestos claims, contract claims, business torts, unfair competition, consumer protection and advertising law. He is the chair of the firm’s Toxic Tort and Products Liability Department.
Prior to joining Carney Badley Spellman, Mr. Thorson was a litigation partner with the Seattle law firm of Culp Guterson & Grader, where his practice emphasized complex commercial litigation and antitrust.
Mr. Thorson has acted as regional or national counsel for numerous companies facing multi-state litigation. He has extensive jury trial and appellate experience and has successfully defended manufacturers, distributors, contractors and subcontractors in hundreds of state and federal lawsuits alleging negligent work practices, strict liability for defective products, breach of warranty and other tort and contract claims. He has also counseled corporate clients in the development of nationwide defense strategies for mass-tort litigation. He has served on a variety of steering committees of the King County Asbestos Defense Group and has been selected to serve on the Products Liability Subcommittee charged with reviewing and proposing revisions to the Washington State Pattern Jury Instructions (WPI) for Products Liability.
Honors and Recognitions
Mr. Thorson has been named by Washington Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in the state 2011 – 2018 and in the Super Lawyers Business Edition in 2012 – 2018. He was listed in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine and Seattle Business Magazine as one of King County’s “Top Lawyers” 2011 – 2018. They cull their listings from Martindale-Hubbell and Super Lawyers.
- JD, with honors, University of Wisconsin Law School
- MA, University of Wisconsin
- BS, with distinction, University of Wisconsin
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- King County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association