David Hackney joined Carney Badley Spellman in 2021. David has 15+ years of experience helping clients navigate routine and complex HR issues. His practice focuses on counseling and training employers, human resource professionals, and management staff on legal issues relating to the entire employee lifecycle. In addition to his employment practice, David serves as a neutral and independent workplace investigator for private companies and public agencies.
David also served 11 years as a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Department of Justice where he tried over 20 felony jury trials in federal court and has made numerous appearances before the United States Courts of Appeal for the 4th and 9th Circuits.
David currently represents the 11th Legislative District in the Washington State House of Representatives.
Employment Law Counseling
- Performance improvement
- Disciplinary actions
- Employment policies
- Protection of trade secrets
- Wage and hour laws
- Leaves of absence
- Disability accommodation
- Discrimination and harassment
- Compliance with other state and federal employment laws
- JD/MPA Harvard Law School/JFK School of Government 1993
- BS, Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1987
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association