Jon Schorr joined the firm in 1998. Mr. Schorr was formerly a partner with Williams, Kastner & Gibbs PLLC and, prior to that, Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe. He is a CPA and practiced with the tax department of Arthur Andersen & Co. for seven years prior to entering the practice of law.
Mr. Schorr concentrates his practice primarily in the area of business transactions, with a strong emphasis on the tax issues inherent in any business restructuring. He regularly consults with clients concerning the tax impacts of the structuring of business entities and in restructuring of business organizations through mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, divestitures and liquidations. He has also been involved with the development of numerous compensation packages, including the adoption of qualified and non-qualified stock option plans, restricted stock programs, phantom stock plans and stock purchase plans. He also handles telecommunications matters.
In addition, Mr. Schorr has handled numerous matters before the Internal Revenue Service and the Washington Department of Revenue. He has represented major industrial plant owners in property valuation cases with county tax assessors and argued numerous Business and Occupation tax and sales tax disputes before the Washington Board of Tax Appeals.
Mr. Schorr is also involved in business succession planning, including the formation of family limited partnerships and family limited liability companies. As part of this practice, he handles the preparation of the trust and estate documents required to implement and administer such plans.
Honors and Recognitions
Mr. Schorr has been named by Washington Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in the state since 2003 and he has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1983.
Mr. Schorr was recognized by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine as one of King County’s “Top Lawyers 2010.” Seattle Metropolitan Magazine culled their list using the Martindale-Hubbell® ratings.
Mr. Schorr also received the Roger L. Stouder Award in 2010. This award was given by the Bar Association Tax Section in recognition of the recipient’s dedication to his community, his exceptional skills in the field of taxation law and his display of professionalism.
- JD, cum laude, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 1968
- BS, Ohio State University, 1962
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Professional Associations
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Taxation Law Section, Washington State Bar Association, past president and previously member of Executive Committee
- Member of Board of Directors and Treasurer of Puget Sound Public Radio (KUOW)
- Member of Board of Directors and Secretary of the Foundation for Marine Ecology and Telemetry Research
- Member of Board of Directors of Fort Worden Foundation