Joe focuses his practice on early stage and growth companies. He represents companies from inception to exit, and assists companies with among other things, formation, equity compensation, angel and venture financings, mergers and acquisitions, and other significant business transactions. He also represents investors in and acquirers of businesses and founders and executives.
Joe is a member of the Angel Capital Association’s Public Policy Advisory Council. He has been active in advocating for laws to make it less difficult for companies to raise capital. Joe wrote the first draft of Washington’s equity crowdfunding law and was an early advocate for state crowdfunding laws, and later testified in favor of the bill that ultimately became law in Washington state. He also assisted in amendments to the bill that ultimately became law.
- Startup Company Formations
- Angel and Venture Financings
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Equity Compensation
- Stock Option/Equity Plan Administration
- Revenue Loans
- Alternative Financing Structures
- Cannabis and CBD Law
Honors and Recognitions
Best Lawyers for Business Organizations and Corporate Law 2016 – 2019.
- LL.M, New York University, 1996
- JD, Seattle University School of Law, 1994
- BA, University of Washington, 1990
Bar and Court Admissions
- Washington, 1994
- “New Law Changes the Liquidity Game for Tech Company Founders, Workers and Investors,”Co-Author, Crunch Network, March 10, 2016
- “The Holloway Guide To Equity Compensation,” Co-Author, 2018
- Angel Capital Association urges nomination of Joe Wallin for one of two new Securities and Exchange Commission members, Washington Post, December 8, 2016.
- Washington State Bar Association
- Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Partner, DLA Piper US LLP (formerly DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary LLP and Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich LLP), Seattle