Sommer B. Clement practices in the areas of construction and real estate transactions and litigation, civil litigation, and insurance defense. Sommer drafts contracts and provides risk management advice to companies involved in the development, design, construction, and sale of buildings and real estate. She also litigates civil disputes including complex multi-party litigation, construction defect, work site injury, products liability, automobile, premises, and personal injury claims.
Since 2003, she has represented numerous Washington real estate developers and contractors in disputes related to tower, commercial, condominium, apartment, conversion, and single-family construction. She has handled matters through mediation, jury trials, and appeals. She has also worked as a land use hearing examiner. Before earning her J.D., she worked at a mechanical and electrical engineering firm in Seattle.
Sommer is a Seattle-area native and enjoys bicycling and spending time in Central Washington.
Honors and Recognitions
Sommer was recognized as a Rising Star by Washington Law and Politics from 2002-2007 and in 2010. She has received an “AV” Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. This rating is given to attorneys who demonstrate the highest ethical standards and professional ability. She served as Chair of the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Construction Section from 2013 to 2014.
- JD, University of Washington Law School, 2001
- BS, magna cum laude, University of Oregon, 1998
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Oregon State Courts
Sommer is a frequent speaker on topics related to risk management for developers, contractors, and design professionals. Recent speaking engagements include:
- Co-chair of “Preparing for Construction Defects in the Future,” The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, December 2018
- “The Current Status of Construction Defect Litigation,” The Seminar Group 25th Annual Washington Construction Law Conference, Seattle, Washington, September 2018
- “Project Update,” 2nd Annual Construction Project Challenges in Seattle Seminar, The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, December 2017
- “Risk Management for Condominium Development and Sale in Washington,” November 2017
- “Construction Defect Litigation, Today and Tomorrow,” The Seminar Group 24th Annual Washington Construction Law Conference, Seattle, Washington, September 2017
- “Construction Project Update,” Construction Project Challenges in Seattle Seminar, The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, December 2016
- “Forecasting the New World of Residential Construction Defect Litigation,” The Seminar Group 23rd Annual Washington Construction Law Conference, Seattle, Washington, September 2016
- “Wrap Policies: Unwrapping the Expectations and Realities,” West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar, Anaheim, California, May 2016
- “Toolbox for Handling Emerging Construction Issues,” Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Annual Construction Law Update, Seattle, Washington, May 2016
- “AIA Contract Provisions That Can Keep You Out of Hot Water,” Society for Design Administration, Seattle Chapter, Seattle, Washington, March 2016
- “Yellow Brass Claims in Washington,” Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Annual Construction Law Update, Seattle, Washington, February 2013
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Oregon State Bar Association